Saturday, 20 December 2014

To begin at the umpteenth attempt

I'm sober. Hooray for me and so on. I last drank alcohol on June 1st, 2014. Hooray for me again. That's a good run. In fact, since December 19th, 2013 I've drunk on just eight days.

However, I want more. I need more. To make this a successful Recovery, with capital letters and everything, I need to move on from just not drinking to making the most of my life without alcohol. 

That's what this blog is about.

I'm just finding my blogging way right now, as I am with life without booze. I have plans, and I have fears. Losing alcohol is both a wonderful opportunity and the cause of terrible fear. 

Like many drinkers I have more than a problem with alcohol in my mental locker. My drinking had causes. Complicated causes no doubt, not all of which I'm completely on top of. Anxiety certainly, depression in a chicken and egg sort of way... 

I have plans for this blog, as I have hopes in my wider life. I want to keep a diary. I want to use it as a repository of useful recovery resources. I want to review things. I want to use it to earn money. I want to help other people in - or heading towards - recovery.

This is just a hello. A small, scrawled mark on the web to start my journey. I've made so many false starts and I'm sick of it. I'm teetering on the edge of something here and there's a danger of falling back. I've got to start making the most of my opportunity and my abilities and I've got to start moving on. I've got to be more than just sober.

Wish me luck.